In addition to receiving up to $5,000 for tuition, books, fees, and supplies, this prestigious program provides the Fellows with opportunities to share in cultural and educational experiences across the state and meet with successful business and government leaders. Fellows can also apply for a $3,000 summer stipend to complete an internship or community service project. The Fellows will also receive support and inspiration from each other to continue pursuing their educational goals and serving their community—priceless!
- Be enrolled currently at one of Virginia’s Community Colleges, on full-time status, with first year completed by the end of spring semester.
- Be nominated by a faculty member and endorsed by the president of the college.
- Demonstrate a commitment to transfer to a Virginia public college or university.
- Have unmet financial need as determined by an application that includes student and family income and student and family contributions to tuition, books, and fees.
- Demonstrate evidence of academic excellence, ambition, and personal integrity.
- Demonstrate evidence of community service or faith-based endeavors.
- Complete a personal interview with a Foundation designee if selected as a top candidate.
Completed applications will be due on April 15, 2013, and awards will be announced in June. The application will consist of:
- An application questionnaire to include a statement of the student’s academic plan through the baccalaureate level
- A copy of the student’s grades for the completed 30 hours
- Recommendation from a faculty member, endorsed by the college president
- Evidence of community service or faith-based endeavors
- A statement of preference for the summer internship/service requirement
- A statement of plans for meeting the 40-hour per semester community service requirement
- A statement of how the student will both benefit from and contribute to the Fellows program
- A personal interview as arranged by the scholarship committee
- Proof of unmet financial need, as evidenced by completion of a financial application and disclosure of all sources of educational funding including other scholarships